Waste Management Services
BCNET has awarded three waste management service agreements for the higher education sector in B.C.
Agreements have been awarded to:
- Super Save Disposal for Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast
- Maple Leaf Disposal for the Lower Mainland
- Waste Management Canada for Northern B.C. and Central / Southern Interior of B.C.
The service providers have been contracted to provide members with equipment, containers, collection, pick-up, transportation, segregation, disposal, and specific processing services related to all garbage, recyclable material, and organics waste streams.
As a complex category in a highly regulated environment that varies across BC, the Facilities Category Committee and facilities directors identified waste management services as an opportunity to collaborate on requirements for improved outcomes.
- Initiated a thorough, member-led collaboration & evaluation process with the Waste Management Services Working Group
- Engaged GreenStep Solutions to leverage sustainability and technical consulting experts
- Posted a request for proposal on BC BID in December 2019
- Awarded a three-year agreement with an option to extend for two additional three-year terms
Danielle Johannes, Director of Sales, Government and Major Accounts
Maple Leaf Disposal
Taufiq Ahmedi, Manager, Sales Division
Ross Ismail, Director, Business Development
Waste Management Canada
Christine Smith, Territory Manager
- Manage waste in accordance with federal, provincial and municipal requirements for four geographical regions in BC to mitigate regulatory, health and safety risks
- Improve sustainability outcomes through consulting, training, reporting, hauling, processing and associated environmental certifications
- Reduce cost by consolidating volumes, pick-up frequencies and optimization for both equipment and service to ensure the right fit
- Access to improved visibility of institutional waste profiles, collection efficiency, and pricing transparency with reporting capabilities to support improvements to institutional waste management practices
- Reduce the administrative efforts associated with the collection, transport, treatment, disposal and recycling of a range of waste streams
- Provide guidance and support to members regarding best practices to recycle and reduce waste contamination