We’re a small dynamic team that loves what we do, and thrive on our ability to make a difference for our higher education member community in British Columbia. We offer an excellent compensation package including competitive salary, and a complete range of benefits including defined benefit pension plan, healthcare coverage and wellness allowance. Our work environment is diverse, collegial and entrepreneurial.
The Chief Technology Officer (CTO), in collaboration with the other members of the management team, defines, develops and oversees the strategy and execution of BCNET’s technology and services to advance research, education and innovation. As a technical authority, the CTO plays a key role in liaising with provincial, national and international stakeholders (members, sector representatives, industry and government) to deliver on the potential of digital infrastructure. The CTO will be a balanced business and technical leader who will provide the overall direction for network services, cybersecurity and internal information technology services.
As an integral and a lead member of the executive team, the CTO will contribute to the management, leadership and direction of the organization from technology, strategy and operational perspectives. The CTO will be responsible for leading, building and developing the team who maintain and support critical network, technology and security infrastructure services. The CTO must enable BCNET to keep pace with the changing information and communication technologies and to ensure product and service offerings provide best in class solutions while maintaining financial viability.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic vision, leadership and innovation for the delivery of network, security and internal IT services
- Build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to maximize improvements in member services and experiences
- Drive industry-leading capabilities that support strategic initiatives
- Lead network services, playing a key role in all aspects of the network and security infrastructure design and provisioning
- Direct planning and implementation of networks, internet transit, evolving cybersecurity services and other services as identified by our members
- Direct the technology team to develop and maintain a network architecture plan to deliver “best in class” services while staying within budget
- Develop annual operating and (multi-year) capital budget and manage the resources effectively within approved budget allocation.
- Be conscious of and regularly assess risks and controls as well as develop and implement appropriate policies and procedures. Ensure that staff are aware of and follow established control procedures, policies and procedures as well as laws and regulations
- Work collaboratively with other provincial Research and Education Networks and national agencies like CANARIE, Compute Canada, etc., to advance BCNET’s vision and mission.
- Represent BCNET in local, provincial and national committees
- Other duties as assigned
The successful candidate will possess an optimal combination of the following:
- Undergraduate and/or graduate degree in engineering, computer science or related fields
- 15+ years of experience in information, communications and technology (ICT)
- 8 – 10 + years working in a management capacity
- Extensive experience in a senior, customer-facing role specific to technology/networking/telecommunication services
- Working experience in telecom, intranet, metro/provincial and cross-country level multi-layer managed network and security design and implementation
- Excellent project and people management skills; experience working with and managing teams in a cross-functional environment
- Excellent working experience in design and implementation of enterprise-level, high-availability network services and security solutions
- Working experience with hardware and virtual network and security appliances provisioning and deployment
- Excellent knowledge of network and security management and monitoring tools, high availability and fault tolerance network technologies and solutions (clustering, load balancing, media aggregation, redundancy protocols)
- Compelling verbal and written communication skills to compile and prepare data into logical reports, briefings, and recommendations for internal and external use
- Strong emotional intelligence and excellent relationship building skills
- Effective analytical problem solving, facilitation, and conflict resolution skills within a diverse multi-location work environment
- An exceptionally collaborative leader who can empower, integrate and develop the skills of staff into a cohesive customer-focused and service-oriented team
- A superior communicator who values feedback and knowledge from others, and proactively shares information to empower the team
- The ability to focus strongly on agreed-upon outcomes and ensures objectives are met
- A critical thinker and an inquisitive visionary who enjoys outward facing and broader perspectives
- A confident, respectful and resourceful leader with an entrepreneurial spirit
BCNET is one of the leading shared services organizations in research and education networks. We offer technology services and solutions enabling world-class research and education anywhere in British Columbia by harnessing the collaborative spirit of our members.
As a not-for-profit shared services organization, we continuously engage with our stakeholders to explore, develop and deliver solutions that meet the evolving needs of our members.
We offer an excellent compensation package including competitive salary, and a complete range of benefits including defined benefit pension plan, healthcare coverage and wellness allowance. Our work environment is diverse, collegial and entrepreneurial.
Please forward your resume with a cover letter clearly documenting your suitability for this executive role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you to all candidates but only those shortlisted will be contacted.
BCNET is looking for someone who enjoys working in a collaborative, fast-paced team environment. The full-time role will help with the delivery of exciting network infrastructure projects. The ideal candidate has a desire to work with the BC higher education sector, a self-starter and passionate about achieving goals through detailed attention and planning.
We offer an excellent compensation package including competitive salary, and a complete range of benefits including a defined-benefit pension plan, healthcare coverage and wellness allowance. Our work environment is diverse, collegial and entrepreneurial.
For further position details and information on submitting an application, please visit the position posting.